Deliverability and inboxing tips in 2023Register now
Direct mailing to e-mail has long proven its effectiveness and has become one of the main sources of sales. It also significantly increases the likelihood of repeat sales in those market segments where customers constantly need certain goods or services.
The header of such a mailing list is the most important component since it is this information that is visible in the general list of letters and directly affects the user's decision: to open the letter, leave it unread, or delete it immediately. According to various studies, about 70% of users make a decision whether to open an email or not based on reading the header alone.
To achieve your goal (to force the user to open the letter), you need to interest the person, but it is also important not to overdo it with advertising offers. The basic rules for writing headings can be broken down into main points.
1. The headline should be kept as short and as informative as possible. Subject length should not exceed 50 characters so that email services do not truncate the title in the preview. On mobile devices, the limit is usually even greater - 30-40 characters.
2. Be sure to segment your audience.
Direct the message of the headline clearly to your audience: for women or men, for different age groups, as well as for users from a specific region.
1. Tools for segmenting the customer base;
2. Customer segmentation. Options.
3. Avoid any common phrases and standard clichés. There is nothing more boring than receiving a letter from a company with the subject line "Our news" or "Latest special offers". Use specific numbers and phrases that characterize your proposal. Mentioning numbers for other purposes increases the chances of discovery because:
- numbers are specifics, but they are more credible;
- the subscriber in some cases can appreciate the value of the information received.
4. STOP word. It is imperative that the email does not end up in the recipient's spam folder, so it is important to make the header as risky as possible. If possible, avoid so-called spam words, which are likely to send an email to the appropriate folder:
- exclusive offer;
- increase your income;
- double your income;
- you are a winner;
- incredible deals;
- increase sales;
- apply now, etc.
When using phrases from this list, it is imperative to test your mailing list for spam emails.
5. Add specifics and weight in the eyes of the user. The subject line of the letter with an indication of a specific discount or price difference between the old and the new offer looks much more convincing.
6. Apply psychological techniques that help increase the percentage of open letters. A surefire way to grab the reader's attention is to ask about the problem and intrigue the reader with a solution. The reader asks a question that he cannot answer without reading the letter. In addition, by asking a question, we invite the subscriber to a conversation, and this is already a curtsey towards personalization.
7. Pay close attention to spelling, stylistic and punctuation literacy. Erroneous headlines immediately scare away users and cause damage to the company's reputation. Don't get carried away with punctuation marks such as exclamation marks, as they are a favorite method of spammers.
8. Test! Create multiple headlines, send a letter to the same target group and match the data on the opening of letters. After that, you will receive invaluable data and will be able to make your own recommendations for writing headers for your newsletter.
9. Address by name. It is important to create the feeling that the letter comes to the subscriber personally, and the content is useful to him. To this end, many email marketers use subscribers by name in their headers.
Read more interesting in our blog